hormone therapy

Moderators: Team, Superuser, Angela, Sanne

hormone therapy

Berichtdoor KvanHK » ma 29 dec 2014, 21:53

I was diagnosed breast cancer in 2011 and I had operation, radiotherapy and chemotherapy in the same year. Surprisingly, I was pregnant and my child was born early this year. In July, I had extremely heavy menstruation that last for five weeks. With advice of the gynaecologist, my General Practitioner prescribed me hormone pills for one week and the bleeding stopped. This month the problem came again and I was referred to the gynaecologist. I was prescribed Provera for 10 days. The gynaecologist suggested that I should use a hormone spiral afterwards. I highlighted that I had breast cancer. The gynaecologist said it is safe for me to take Provera and he will discuss about the hormone spiral with me after i take a blood test. After I finished the ten Provera pills yesterday, I just read the instruction saying that breast cancer patients should not take the medicine. I was shocked and I am worried that the pills would trigger my sickness.

I am trying to seek second opinion. And I would like to know if anyone of you has any tips for me regarding hormone therapy as a breast cancer patient.

Thank you very much in advance!
KvanHK

Re: hormone therapy

Berichtdoor Dees » ma 29 dec 2014, 22:16

Hi HvanHK, let me check a few things first...... I guess you had a triple negative breastcancer (so not estrogen sensitive, not progesteron sensitive and not Her2Neu-positive)......
Groeten, Dees
Gezondheidswetenschapper (Gezondheidsvoorlichting en Geestelijke Gezondheidkunde) * Gewerkt in farmaceutische industrie oncologie o.a. op het gebied van borstkanker * Zelf diagnose borstkanker op 36-jarige leeftijd (2007) * www.caseofdees.wordpress.com
Dees
Beheerder

Berichtdoor KvanHK » di 30 dec 2014, 08:36

Yes triple negative.
KvanHK

Berichtdoor Dees » di 30 dec 2014, 20:41

Hi KvanHK, ok. Well..... triple negative means the tumor had no hormone receptors and so doesn't grow on estrogen or progesteron.

Hormones, like the ones prescribed to you, are absolutely a contra-indication for hormonal receptor positive breast cancer. That's a question of common sense. These hormones have never been tested in women with triple negative breast cancer. This kind of research will never be done in women with triple negative breast cancer. So..... by lack of evidence for safety, this is what is written in the medical leaflet.

Does that mean you shouldn't take it? This needs to be discussed between you and your gynaecologist. You have to solve your gynaecological problems one way or the other. If there are non-hormonal solutions, that would be preferable, I think. I can not imagine that only 10 days would be risky for you.

Take care !! I hope the problem is solved !!
Groeten, Dees
Gezondheidswetenschapper (Gezondheidsvoorlichting en Geestelijke Gezondheidkunde) * Gewerkt in farmaceutische industrie oncologie o.a. op het gebied van borstkanker * Zelf diagnose borstkanker op 36-jarige leeftijd (2007) * www.caseofdees.wordpress.com
Dees
Beheerder

Berichtdoor KvanHK » wo 31 dec 2014, 09:29

Thank you very much Dees.
KvanHK

Keer terug naar December 2014